Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Non-Rank super8 transfers

  1. #1
    ulrichsd
    Guest ulrichsd's Avatar

    Post

    Hi!

    I was just curious if anyone knew of any inexpensive super8 transfers to video that are at a true 24 fps?

    You see, I started a scene from a short I was working on, but my main actor got his girlfriend pregnant and he is getting married and is very busy etc, etc. So I'm going to need to get a new actor, but in the mean time I wanted to cut the scene and sync it up with the sound just for practice. Since it just a test, I'm not going to pay the money to get 2 rolls Ranked, and I can't take it to a home movie to video place because most of those places run at 20 fps, which wont sync to my sound roll.

    Roger, the workprinter seems like it would be perfect for this, but I'm not sure if you are in the transfer business. I wish I had the money to buy one, but after getting back from Europe I'm am in a hole financially. If you would be interested in trasfering 2 rolls of film to VHS though, email and let me know a cost.

    Thanks everyone in advance,
    Scott
    [email protected]

    ------------------

  2. #2
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ulrichsd:

    Roger, the workprinter seems like it would be perfect for this, but I'm not sure if you are in the transfer business.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Not officially!

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ulrichsd:

    If you would be interested in trasfering 2 rolls of film to VHS though, email and let me know a cost.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    If you're talking about only two 50 foot rolls, just send 'em on with a VHS tape and I'll do it for nothing. Might take a little while for me to work it into the schedule but if they're here then I can do it as the mood and opportunity strikes.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  3. #3
    dogstarman
    Guest dogstarman's Avatar

    Post

    On the topic:

    Does anybody know what "Kodak's telecine system/ process" is? I contacted The Black and White Film Factory in Canada to ask them what kind of telecine transfer they do, and that was their answer. I have to imagine it's fairly decent, because they use it for 16/35mm film as well. But WHAT is it?



    ------------------

  4. #4
    #Pedro
    Guest #Pedro's Avatar

    Post

    Question to the specialist Roger concerning this topic:

    Hi Roger, only beeing curious:
    When I decide to transfer footage here in Europe to video tape or sample it with a PAL camera to hard disc, I can only connect my projector with my crystal control to make it run at exactly 25,000000 frames per second, which is the PAL framerate. The result is in perfect sync, I just tested it the other way around.

    But what?s about your funky NTSC system? What happens, if I sync the projector with 24,000000 fps and sample the film to hard disc to make the soundtrack? Yes, it will have plenty flicker, black or differnt exposed video frames, some correct ones and so on. But isn?t is possible to soundtrack that terrible result with any editing software and create afterwards a soundtrack cd out of the wav file or play the wav file back to sound stripe?
    Obviously, the projector must run at the same constant crystal speed as during sampling the footage.

    Do you expect any probs with running time diferences?

    Pedro

    ------------------

  5. #5
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by #Pedro:
    What happens, if I sync the projector with 24,000000 fps and sample the film to hard disc to make the soundtrack?

    But isn?t is possible to soundtrack that terrible result with any editing software and create afterwards a soundtrack cd out of the wav file or play the wav file back to sound stripe?
    Obviously, the projector must run at the same constant crystal speed as during sampling the footage.
    Do you expect any probs with running time diferences?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    If you are talking about film transferred to NTSC video, then you would need a crystal that runs at 23.976 and not 24,000000 or whatever. If you are talking about creating a soundtrack over there using the 24,0000 crystal and then making a CD for synching to a modified projector that ran in synch, I see no problem at all. I know several people that do work in low budget films and they submit their final soundtracks as either a standard CD or a Wave file. Works fine.

    ROger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  6. #6
    rollemfilm
    Guest rollemfilm's Avatar

    Post

    for those interested, the transfer station does non-rank super8 transfers: www.thetransferstation.com
    prices seem good also.

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    God I love the world of NTSC. I would get a Rank--save up a few morw rolls of film and send it off in 1/2 hour lots to CinePost in Atlanta along with a 30 minute BetaSP tape. Good Luck

    ------------------

  8. #8
    rollemfilm
    Guest rollemfilm's Avatar

    Post

    i agree. if you can, get a Rank transfer. it makes shooting "film" worth while.

    ------------------

  9. #9
    Berk
    Guest Berk's Avatar

    Post

    Dogstarman,

    I've used Black and White Factory in Toronto for telecine transfer, from a hobbyist point of view, I was more than happy with the results.

    Berk

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •